Home > Business Services > Building and Development Permits and Rezoning Applications

New Provincial Housing Legislation Updates

In December 2023, the provincial government enacted legislation that will significantly change housing throughout British Columbia, including the UEL.

These changes affect the approval process for residential projects, allowing density increases beyond what has been traditionally permitted in UEL neighbourhoods. These changes are mandated by the Province with the intent of addressing affordability by creating more housing supply.

As an administration, we want to ensure that you are aware of these changes and how they will affect the growth and character of the UEL.

Find more information on what the UEL is doing to implement these changes. Find more information on the Province's website.

Building Permits

All storefront buildings and structures erected within the University Endowment Lands (UEL) must comply with the applicable sections of the Land Use, Building and Community Administration Bylaw. Building Permits and the associated fees are required before:

  • constructing, repairing or altering a building or structure;
  • installing, repairing or altering any plumbing and similar works;
  • demolishing a building; and
  • moving a building to any property.

Single-family building permit application requirements, are available on-line, or can be obtained at the UEL Administration Office.

Once a building permit has been issued, inspections can be booked by calling the Administration Office at (604) 660-1808.

*NEW* The BC Building Code 2024 is effective March 08, 2024 and will apply to building permit applications accepted as of that date.

The use of non-road diesel engines is subject to Metro Vancouver’s updated Non-Road Diesel Engine Emission Regulation Bylaw. For more information, click here.

Development Permits

Many developments in the UEL require an approved Development Permit before a Building Permit application can be made. In general, a Development Permit is required to:

  • erect or alter a dwelling or accessory building outside the “allowable building envelope” within the Single-Family Dwelling District;
  • erect or alter a multi-family dwelling outside the “allowable building envelope” within the Multi-Family Dwelling District;
  • develop a Conditional Approval Use; or
  • undertake certain other developments listed in
    Section 7 of the Land Use, Building and Community Administration Bylaw.

For more information, please read the Guide to Development Permits.

Related forms and checklists:

Please refer to our Policies page for other bulletins and policies relating to property development.

An intake appointment is required before submitting a Development Permit application. An intake can be booked by calling the Administration Office at (604) 660-1808.

Change of Land Use District (Rezoning) Applications

These applications can take the form of:

  • Changing from one Land Use District to another
  • Changing to a new Land Use District not existing in the current bylaw
  • Text amendments to existing Land Use Districts

As rezoning requires an amendment to the UEL Land Use, Building and Community Administration Bylaw, rezoning decisions are made by the Minister responsible for the UEL.
The UEL's rezoning process can be summarized in the following steps:

  • Prior to submitting an application, the applicant may undertake stakeholder discussions and studies to develop a proposed development concept
  • When an application is submitted it undergoes a technical review and the application may be revised as a result
  • The applicant erects a notification sign for public comment and the application is referred to the Community Advisory Council (CAC) and Advisory Design Panel (ADP). The application may be revised based on comment received
  • Draft bylaw amendments are prepared and are referred to the CAC and the ADP; a public meeting may be held at the Minister’s discretion
  • The Minister makes a decision on the application

All rezoning enquiries should be directed to

Planning, Development Permit, and Building Permit Enquiries

For planning, development permit, and building permit enquiries, please contact us at (604) 660-1808 or to be directed to the appropriate staff member.

Tenant Improvement Permits

There is a special policy covering all tenant improvements in the UEL.

The policy specifies the documents and certifications that tenants must submit at the time of a Building Permit Application. The Tenant Improvement Requirements and Application Package are available online or can be obtained from the UEL Administration Office.