Home > Administration

The University Endowment Lands (UEL) is a separate jurisdiction from the City of Vancouver and the University of British Columbia (UBC).

As an unincorporated area, the UEL does not have an elected municipal council. Instead, the provincial government is the governing body, and is administered through the Ministry of Municipal Affairs under the University Endowment Land Act. This legislation enables the Minister to, among other things:

  • levy property taxes;
  • enact bylaws;
  • appoint a person to administer the University Endowment Lands.

The Minister of Municipal Affairs appoints a Manager who is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the UEL.

Decisions made by the UEL Administration and staff are guided by the Official Community Plan, and the Land Use, Building and Community Administration Bylaw (including all schedules and maps).

Please see our Frequently Asked Questions for New Residents and Frequently Asked Questions for Realtors for further information.